Founded in 1923, the ACLU SoCal has been at the forefront of many major efforts to protect civil liberties, civil rights, and equal justice in California. Principled and nonpartisan, ACLU SoCal has offices in Los Angeles, Orange County (Santa Ana), the Inland Empire (San Bernardino), and now Kern County (Bakersfield). ACLU SoCal tackles a vast array of issues, including criminal justice, police practices, First Amendment rights, gender equity and reproductive justice, LGBTQ rights, immigrants' rights, education equity, and economic justice.
We are looking for a Business Systems Analyst to join our team! The Business Systems Analyst will be responsible for reviewing, analyzing, and evaluating business systems, user needs, and assist with, supervise, and participate in implementation of solutions. This person will be responsible for documenting requirements, defining scope and objectives and formulate systems in parallel with overall business strategies. She/They/He will be responsible for training staff on practices, protocols, and applications that are developed by the team.
- Determine operational objectives by studying business functions; gathering information; evaluating output requirements and formats.
- Evaluate how business functions are utilizing current application systems and identify actions to train and enhance system utilization on the part of end users.
- Construct workflow charts and diagrams; studying system capabilities; writing specifications.
- Improve systems by studying current practices; designing modifications; identifying application solutions, including platforms, off-the-shelf and custom designed for purpose
- Recommend controls by identifying problems; writing improved procedures.
- Define project requirements by identifying project milestones, phases and elements; forming project team; establishing project budget.
- Project Management: Monitor project progress by tracking activity; resolving problems; publishing progress reports; recommending actions.
- Maintain user confidence and protect operations by keeping information confidential.
- Prepare technical reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Validate resource requirements and develop cost estimate models.
- Conduct and coordinate financial, product, market, operational and related research to support strategic and business planning within the various departments and programs of the client group.
- Interpret, evaluate and interrelate research data and develop integrated business analyses and projections for incorporation into strategic decision-making.
- Plan and coordinate the development of primary and secondary market research studies in support of strategic planning and specific marketing initiatives, as required and presents findings of studies to client committees.
- Perform daily, weekly and monthly reviews and analyses of current processes using operational metrics and reports.
- Review all business areas to identify opportunities for new systems growth and development.
- Understand and communicate the financial and operational impact of any changes.
- Suggest changes to senior management using analytics to support your recommendations. Actively participate in the implementation of approved changes, including development of business applications when appropriate, and supervision of contractors for development when appropriate.
- Create informative, actionable and repeatable reporting that highlights relevant business trends and opportunities for improvement.
- Conduct insightful, ad hoc analyses to investigate ongoing or one-time operational issues.
- Provide training to staff on practices, protocols, and applications developed by the team.
- Conduct periodic general application training to staff.
- Work closely with the Director of Information Systems on infrastructure initiatives.
- Light help-desk duties, including occasional after-hours and weekends.
- Other projects assigned by the Director of Information Systems.
- Bachelor's degree in appropriate field of study or equivalent work experience.
- Project Management Certification preferred.
- O365/Sharepoint, Microsoft Access and/or MS-SQL experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to impact operations and effect change without being confrontational.
- Detail oriented, analytical and inquisitive.
- Ability to work independently and with others.
- Extremely organized with strong time-management skills.
- Familiar with relational database concepts and client-server concepts.
Top Skills & Proficiencies
- Software Design
- Software maintenance
- Process improvement
- Project Management
- O365/SharePoint, Microsoft Access and/or SQL experience
- Big picture thinking
- Work well under pressure
- Problem solving
- Critical thinking
- Relationship building
- Training skills
Salary based on experience. Benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff members and their eligible dependents; life and long term disability insurance; 401(k) plan with employer match; ample vacation and sick leave and thirteen paid holidays.
Please submit resume, cover letter explaining your interest in the position to email@example.com or mail to:
ACLU of Southern California
1313 West 8th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(No phone calls, please.)
The ACLU SoCal is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.