The American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California (ACLU SoCal) seeks a Development Assistant.
Founded in 1923, the ACLU SoCal has been at the forefront of many major efforts to protect civil liberties, civil rights, and equal justice in California. Principled and nonpartisan, the ACLU SoCal has offices in Los Angeles, Orange County (Santa Ana), the Inland Empire (San Bernardino), and Kern County (Bakersfield). The ACLU SoCal tackles a vast array of issues, including criminal justice, police practices, First Amendment rights, gender equity and reproductive justice, LGBT rights, immigrants' rights, education equity, and economic justice.
Under supervision of the Database Manager, the Development Assistant supports the Philanthropy Department by handling daily administrative and database duties and provides key internal support of Philanthropy operations, events, and donor/member services. This position is funded for three years, with a possibility of future extension contingent upon additional funding.
- Produce acknowledgment letters on a timely basis. Review donor acknowledgments for accuracy and action items that require follow-up;
- Produce daily income report of monies the organization receives and distribute to Finance and Philanthropy Departments; make applicable copies and prep gifts for batching and deposit;
- Assist with processing of gifts and serve as back-up to the Database Manager regarding gift entry, record creation and combination, basic list pulls, and basic reporting;
- Perform various departmental financial duties including processing of credit cards;
- Prepares the weekly distribution of membership income to National office;
- Assist the Database Manager in ensuring that donor/member contact information is consistently updated, accurate, and easily retrievable;
- Assist with the maintenance of department's paper and electronic filing systems including uploading of pertinent correspondence and back-up documentation;
- Provide support for mailings, donor/member relations activities, and board meetings;
- Provide administrative support to the Philanthropy staff as assigned and required to advance the ACLU mission.
Donor and Member Relations
- Respond to and resolve donor and member services-related issues in a professional and courteous manner, including answering questions about how to give and on a range of general issues;
- Assist with the fielding of calls from donors, members, and prospects;
- Other stewardship and donor/member relations activities as assigned and required to advance the ACLU mission.
- Under the guidance of the Annual Events Manager, support the Annual Luncheon and Bill of Rights Dinner through:
- Acknowledge and substantiate all event gifts;
- List management and data entry;
- Support event logistics including confirming seating, food choices, and virtual ads; order and manage awards; day-of registration tabling;
- Field miscellaneous event requests and manage logistics as necessary including securing staff speakers and ACLU merchandise;
- Support the planning and hosting of donor cultivation events.
- Provide event support (logistical and production) to the Philanthropy staff as assigned and required to advance the ACLU mission.
- Participate in the Development Team as a cooperative, positive team player;
- Help maintain a positive, respectful, welcoming, and professional environment for employees and volunteers;
- Develop a solid understanding of ACLU's structure, programs, office protocols, and equipment;
- Attend certain ACLU functions and assist in other ways as assigned;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two years of work or equivalent experience in leadership roles, volunteering, and internships, preferably in the non-profit sector;
- Ability to handle challenging and sensitive donor and member relations situations professionally and with discretion;
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills and comfortable working with people with different backgrounds and experiences;
- Strong organizational and time management skills, judgment, dependability, and punctuality;
- Solution-oriented approach, including the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively;
- Demonstrated willingness to take initiative while juggling several priorities all with readiness, optimism, and calm under pressure;
- Proficiency with Office programs (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and donor databases (preferably Salesforce);
- Must be available for some weekend and evening responsibilities;
- Must be available for occasional limited local travel (within L.A. County);
- Passionate about civil liberties and civil rights;
- A professional approach and a commitment to a workplace that values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstances;
- Curiosity about people, a sense of humor, friendly, outgoing, and a strong team-oriented style.
Entry-level salary based on experience. Benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff members and their eligible dependents; life and long-term disability insurance; 401(k) plan with employer match; ample vacation and sick leave and fourteen paid holidays.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (NO phone calls PLEASE) with the subject title "Development Assistant" or mail to:
HR Department - Development Assistant
ACLU of Southern California
1313 W. 8th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Applications are encouraged until March 15, 2018 but will be considered until the position is filled.
The ACLU SoCal is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, and encourage applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, veterans, and people with arrest records and/or convictions.