How Do I Register From Jail?
Voting Procedure and Materials
Per the Board of State and Community Corrections (BSCC) Title 15 Minimum Standards for Local Detention Facilities Article 6, Inmate Programs and Services §1071- Voting:
The facility administrator of a Type I (holding sentenced inmate workers) II, III or IV facility shall develop written policies and procedures whereby the county registrar of voters allows qualified voters to vote in local, state, and federal elections, pursuant to election codes.
You must register to vote at least 15 days before Election Day.
Please follow the steps listed below if you would like to vote:
- Complete an Inmate Request form requesting information and materials by checking the "Voting Information" box.
- The voting coordinator will contact you.
- Fill out your Voter Registration Card and Vote-by-Mail Ballot Application. Include your booking number on each. Return both to the facility voting coordinator or their designee.
- When you receive your ballot, mark your choices and return to the facility voting coordinator or their designee.
- You can find out if your vote-by-mail ballot arrived at the county elections office, if your ballot was counted, and, if not, the reason why it was not counted by calling 800-815-2666.
The ACLU SoCal Jails Project will also have volunteers go inside the LA County jails to register individuals who are incarcerated to vote.
JUNE 5, 2018
Statewide Direct Primary Election
ELECTION DAY is TUESDAY, JUNE 5, 2018.
- Last day to register to vote is Monday, May 21, 2018.
- Last day to apply for a vote-by-mail ballot is Tuesday, May 29, 2018.
- This election includes the following contests: Sheriff and several others. If you register to vote you will receive additional materials about the races and candidates.
NOVEMBER 6, 2018
ELECTION DAY is TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2018.
- Last day to register to vote is Monday, October 22, 2018.
- Last day to apply for a vote-by-mail ballot is Tuesday, October 30, 2018.
- This election includes the following contests: governor, state senator, ballot initiatives and several others. If you register to vote you will receive additional materials about the races and candidates.
If you experience any problems requesting or obtaining voting materials, registering to vote or casting a ballot you should:
Contact the California Secretary of State Investigative Services.
California Secretary of State Investigative Services
1500 11th Street, 2nd Floor Sacramento, CA 95814
English: 916-657-2166 or 800-345-VOTE (8683)
Spanish: 800-232-VOTA (8682)
Contact the ACLU SoCal Jails Project.
ATTN: Jails Project 1313 W. 8th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017