The ACLU of Southern California (ACLU SoCal) seeks a Junior Systems Administrator to join the organization and support its offices in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Santa Ana, and Bakersfield.
The Junior Systems Administrator is responsible for effectively providing technical support and guidance in the administration and implementation of information and telecommunication systems at the ACLU of Southern California, and to assist the Director of Information Systems in the adoption of new, and maintenance of existing systems. In the absence of the Director of Information Systems, the Junior Systems Administrator is the Subject Matter Expert for all technical inquiries.
The position requires a willingness to work beyond a standard 7.5 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events. Work weeks in excess of 40 hours may be required with some frequency.
The Junior Systems Administrator is expected to model professional workplace behavior and standards, and clearly and enthusiastically demonstrate guiding principles of integrity, respect, accountability, compassion, and leadership.
- Analyze information and technology needs from a strategic and operational perspective
- Primary Helpdesk resource for the ACLU SoCal's 70+ staff members
- Assist with maintaining the integrity, continual operation and optimization of IS services, including:
- Corporate and "visitor" wired and wireless networks;
- Configuration and maintenance of all servers, switches, routers, firewalls, VPNs, UPSs, telecommunications hardware and software, security systems, anti-virus/malware systems, internet connectivity, cloud-based services and network storage devices;
- Create and manage user accounts;
- Maintain Hyper-V VDI templates and pools
- Pro-actively review server logs and resolve logged issues;
- Perform preventative maintenance on servers and user workstations, including applying software updates, and physically cleaning computers and peripherals;
- Hands-on installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of all company technology: software, hardware and equipment, including select staff-owned computers, tablets, PDAs and Smartphones;
- Deliver, tag, set up, configure and maintain end-user PC hardware, software and peripherals;
- All other systems administration tasks
- Maintain electronic inventory system
- In consultation with the Director of Information Systems, maintain security and privacy of information systems, communication lines, and equipment
- Assist the Director of Information Systems with assessing issues and responding to day-to-day IS needs (help desk)
- Answer staff questions in person, via remote desktop and via phone on all company supported software applications
- Troubleshoot and repair computer problems
- Keep current with the latest technologies and determine what new technology solutions and implementations will meet business and system requirements
- Respond to expressed staff needs for technology solutions, and collaborate with the Direct of Information Systems on solutions and implementation
- Assist with managing internal systems, including coordinated systems with individual departments; employee hire/exit processes with HR; case management systems with Legal, database technologies and specialized applications and reporting with Development; telephone system and copier reporting with Finance; infrastructure and tenant technology systems with Building, etc.
- Document & update installation, configuration, deployment & maintenance procedures
- Provide on-the-job training to new department staff members and interns
- Provide computer orientation to new company staff and interns
- Arrange for proper, environmentally sound, and secure disposal of all retired hardware and equipment (in coordination with Office and Building Managers)
- Set up multimedia for meetings in conference rooms (computers, projectors, video, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 1-5 years' experience in a relevant IT support role
- Working knowledge of Microsoft software, servers, networking, security and virtualization, Telephony, Microsoft Exchange and Office 365
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Excellent problem-solver with the ability to work in a fast-paced and occasional high volume environment.
- Prior experience and understanding of Hyper-V maintenance.
- Bachelor's Degree or Certificate in Computer Science or related field
- IT Certifications are a plus
Salary based on experience. Benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff members and their eligible dependents; life and long term disability insurance; 401(k) plan with employer match; ample vacation and sick leave and thirteen paid holidays.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com (NO Phone Calls PLEASE) or mail to:
HR Department – Junior Systems Administrator
ACLU of Southern California
1313 W. 8th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017
November 30, 2017 or until filled.
The ACLU of Southern California is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.