How Do I Register From Jail?
Voting Procedure and Materials
Per the Board of State and Community Corrections (BSCC) Title 15 Minimum Standards for Local Detention Facilities Article 6, Inmate Programs and Services §1071- Voting:
The facility administrator of a Type I (holding sentenced inmate workers) II, III or IV facility shall develop written policies and procedures whereby the county registrar of voters allows qualified voters to vote in local, state, and federal elections, pursuant to election codes.
Per the Orange County Sheriff’s Department Policy 1600.3 and 1604.4 Inmate Voting Procedure:
Inmates who would like to participate in local, state and federal elections should contact the Orange County Registrar of Voters for information and materials.
Registrar of Voters
P.O. Box 11298
Santa Ana, CA 92711
You must register to vote at least 15 days before Election Day.
Please follow the steps listed below if you would like to vote:
- Refer to the enclosed Request-for-Materials Letter addressed to the Orange County Registrar of Voters and fill in the blanks.
- Mail the completed letter to the Orange County Registrar of Voters. Enclosed is a pre-addressed envelope.
- The Orange County Registrar of Voters will provide voting materials to you.
- Fill out your Voter Registration Card and Vote-by-Mail Ballot Application when you receive them. Include your booking number on each and return them to the appropriate address.
- When you receive your ballot, mark your choices and return to the appropriate address.
- You can find out if your vote-by-mail ballot arrived at the county elections office, if your ballot was counted, and, if not, the reason why it was not counted by calling 714-567-7600.
If you experience any problems requesting or obtaining voting materials, registering to vote or casting a ballot you should:
Contact the California Secretary of State Investigative Services.
California Secretary of State Investigative Services
1500 11th Street, 2nd Floor Sacramento, CA 95814
English: 916-657-2166 or 800-345-VOTE (8683)
Spanish: 800-232-VOTA (8682)
Contact the ACLU SoCal Jails Project.
ATTN: Jails Project 1313 W. 8th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017