The ACLU Foundation of Southern California (ACLU SoCal) seeks a Senior Staff Attorney to join our efforts to defend and advance immigrants' rights in Southern California and throughout the state, with a focus on Orange County. The Senior Staff Attorney will help develop, litigate, and manage impact litigation and policy advocacy, in collaboration with our Southern California and statewide Immigrants' Rights teams, and other staff attorneys, policy counsels, policy advocates, and organizers. The Senior Staff Attorney will also provide technical assistance to community groups in Orange County and develop advocacy specific to the region.
Founded in 1923, the ACLU SoCal has been at the forefront of many major efforts to protect civil liberties, civil rights, and equal justice in California. Principled and nonpartisan, ACLU SoCal has offices in Los Angeles, Orange County (Santa Ana), the Inland Empire (San Bernardino), and Kern County (Bakersfield). ACLU SoCal tackles a vast array of issues, including criminal justice, police practices, First Amendment rights, gender equity and reproductive justice, LGBTQ rights, immigrants' rights, education equity, and economic justice.
The Senior Staff Attorney will advocate on the full range of immigrants' rights issues on which the ACLU SoCal engages locally and statewide, in coordination with the Immigrants' Rights team at the ACLU SoCal's other offices. The work includes addressing unlawful immigration enforcement practices, enhancing access to counsel for immigrants in deportation proceedings, reducing immigration detention and protecting the due process rights of detained immigrants, and disentangling local law enforcement from immigration enforcement (including through implementation of SB54 (California Values Act).
The Senior Staff Attorney will rely on a strong commitment to the ACLU's mission of advancing immigrants' rights, an ability to collaborate with other attorneys, organizers, and initiative and independence in order to develop litigation and policy campaigns, and work with organizers on organizing and base building campaigns, in Orange County and statewide. The Senior Staff Attorney will also work collaboratively with attorneys, advocates, and organizers from other Projects when intersectional issues arise.
The Staff Attorney will be supervised by the Director of Immigrants' Rights Project within the ACLU SoCal Advocacy Department.
The ACLU SoCal's “integrated advocacy” model unites legal advocacy, policy advocacy, organizing, and base building for maximum impact. In keeping with that approach, the Senior Staff Attorney will work closely with attorneys and other advocates in the Immigrants' Rights team on cases, advocacy projects, and campaigns. The attorney's responsibilities will be to:
- Investigate, develop and litigate high-impact cases at the trial and appellate level in federal and state courts.
- Serve as co-counsel and work in conjunction with other staff within the ACLU SoCal, the other two California ACLU affiliates, and partner organizations.
- Manage litigation teams, supervise lawyers, and organizers.
- Serve as a policy expert and advocate on state and local immigration issues in support of legislation and other campaigns, with responsibilities including public speaking, media interviews, outreach and "know your rights" presentations, as well as writing op-eds, newsletter articles, and reports.
- Provide technical support and strategic leadership to community groups, advocates and organizers in the Orange County region.
- Organize and lead community and stakeholder education events.
- Run trainings for activists and organizers.
- Help build and maintain coalitions.
- Conduct outreach and advocacy to public officials.
The ACLU SoCal anticipates hiring an attorney with approximately 10 years of experience for this position, and will consider all applicants within approximately that level of experience with a demonstrated commitment to civil and human rights and racial justice and strong litigation skills.
- Excellent research, writing, analytic and speaking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to independently develop and litigate impact cases.
- Demonstrated ability to work in diverse coalitions and develop advocacy campaigns.
- Willingness to work beyond a standard 7.5 hour workday including evening and weekend meetings and to work weeks commonly in excess of 40 hours.
- Willingness to travel regularly within Southern California as well as occasionally to other parts of the state.
- Familiarity with or experience working in Southern California.
- Experience working with vulnerable communities, preferably with immigrants, incarcerated people, or indigent populations.
- Spanish language fluency.
Salary based on experience. Benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff members and their eligible dependents; life and long term disability insurance; 401(k) plan with employer match; ample vacation and sick leave and thirteen paid holidays.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, a writing sample, and three references to email@example.com (NO Phone Calls PLEASE) with the subject title “Senior Staff Attorney – Immigrants' Rights” or mail to:
HR Department — Senior Staff Attorney (Immigrants' Rights)
ACLU of Southern California
1313 W. 8th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Open until filled.
The ACLU SoCal is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law