ACLU SoCal seeks applicants for a full-time Digital Organizer to be part of the ACLU SoCal’s Activist Engagement and Development (AED) Project. The AED Project creates and implements engagement plans and programs to develop an active and sustaining base of volunteers and volunteer leaders to work alongside the ACLU SoCal team to win civil rights and civil liberties campaigns.
The Digital Organizer will create and implement year-round strategies to build our base of supporters through digital tools with the ultimate goal of converting first-time or occasional online action takers into consistently engaged volunteers for virtual and in-person volunteer opportunities. This position will amplify the reach of our engagement on advocacy campaigns and presence in both virtual and in-person platforms, including meetings, forums, rallies, hearings, lobby visits and leadership development opportunities. As a member of the AED Project, the Digital Organizer will work alongside issue-based organizers to support cross-team volunteer engagement and train staff on digital usage and best practices. The Digital Organizer will create and edit content, such as scripts for peer-to-peer texting, phone banking and create sample email templates to decision-makers. This position will maintain the integrity of the organization’s constituent relationship management (CRM) database and voter file and leverage other digital tools and platforms such as peer-to-peer texting and predictive dialing for phone banks. The Digital Organizer will analyze the performance of emails, texts and other digital recruitment and engagement tools and recommend and adjust strategies accordingly.
The Digital Organizer will work closely with the Communication and Media Advocacy Department, which manages communication to our larger lists of members, supporters, and social media followers, to identify opportunities for collaboration and stay current on organizational messaging and branding and ongoing media advocacy campaigns.
The Digital Organizer will be directly supervised by the Director of Activist Engagement and Development and can be based in any of the ACLU SoCal’s offices.
RACIAL EQUITY COMPETENCIES
Understanding and Applying Racial Equity
Demonstrate commitment to building or deepening understand of racial equity:
- Core terms and concepts such as structural racism, white privilege, and anti-Blackness.
- The role that racial inequity has played and continues to play in our society.
- How race impacts supervisory relationships, team dynamics, and organizational culture.
- Personal/implicit/unconscious bias.
Working for Racial Equity
- Consistently assess structural implications and racially disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions within the context of their job responsibilities; race/ethnicity, intersection of race/ethnicity, gender, identity, and/or sexual orientation.
- Consistently adhere to organization’s racial equity policies and procedures, including those that relate to hiring, retention, and promotion.
- Consistently identify and disrupt ways in which bias plays out in work and/or team.
Leading on Racial Equity
- Effectively encourage people to have honest conversations about racial equity, and accept feedback openly, non-defensively, and from a posture of learning.
- Consistently address structural implications and racially disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions by identifying and implementing changes that can produce more equitable outcomes. This applies not only in terms of race/ethnicity, but also at the intersection of race/ethnicity, gender identity, and/or sexual orientation.
- Consistently set racial equity outcomes, goals, and performance measures for team, department, or organization, and develop and successfully implement plans to achieve them.
- Create and implement strategies aligned with priority advocacy and electoral campaigns to build and sustain a base of volunteers and volunteer leaders that will work with us to meet our immediate and long-term goals.
- Maintain a consistent flow of communication with volunteers across SoCal regions to keep them current on online and offline volunteer and training opportunities.
- Develop content for peer-to-peer text messaging, scripts for phone banking and other digital engagement.
- Assist in managing online volunteer leader teams and maintaining volunteer involvement in calling and texting programs.
- Maintain lists on voter file and CRM current (including importing, exporting, cleaning-up matching, etc.) to reflect ongoing volunteer activity.
- Create target universes, including call and walk lists for legislative and electoral campaigns.
- Recruit, schedule and maintain relationships with volunteers.
- Analyze the performance of online engagement and recommend and adjust strategies accordingly.
- Work with issue organizers and other staff to create and implement consistent contribution to the CRM system and devise volunteer recruitment strategies to increase engagement.
- Some demonstrated commitment to the cause of social justice, civil liberties and civil rights.
- At least 3-6 years of demonstrated proficiency in online and in-person organizing.
- Experience growing and managing digital volunteer teams, including training volunteers or other large groups of people.
- Tech savvy and willingness to learn new programs and organizing strategies.
- Familiarity administering and managing peer-to-peer texting campaigns on platforms such as Hustle or other.
- Familiarity administering and managing phone bank dialer programs on platforms.
- Demonstrated proficiency on voter file database such as PDI or other.
- Demonstrated experience with back-end administration of CRM systems.
- Collaborative approach to working with colleagues.
- Demonstrated strong project and time management skills and ability to set and meet deadlines, including demonstrated capacity to manage and prioritize competing projects.
- High level of organization, attention to detail and follow-through, as well as demonstrated experience and effectiveness in working across teams.
- Excellent judgment, dependable, punctual, and able to maintain a high level of confidentiality about campaign strategy.
- Adept at computer programs including Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, other Office programs.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds, including with directly impacted people and ally community members.
- Preferred fluency in Spanish.
The salary range for this position is $57,000-67,000. Benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff members and their eligible dependents; life and long-term, short-term disability insurance; 401(k) plan with employer match; ample vacation and sick leave and thirteen paid holidays.
Please submit a resume, a cover letter, a writing sample, and three references for "Digital Strategist AED" at https://secure.onehcm.com/ta/ACLUSC.careers?TrackId=[MyTrackingId]&ApplyToJob=335730050.
Open until filled.
ACLU of Southern California is committed to developing a culture of diversity, equity, respect, and inclusion and to strive to maintain a workforce that reflects the communities that we serve. The ACLU SoCal is an equal opportunity employer that does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable law. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply and value people of all races, genders (including gender identity or expression), sexual orientations, disabilities, citizenships, ages, religions, and national origins and who have different marital statuses, family caregiving responsibilities, lived experiences with the criminal justice systems, and genetic information. ACLU SoCal does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these characteristics.
The ACLU SoCal is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.