The ACLU of Southern California seeks a digital strategist to engage the organization’s audiences via digital and social media touchpoints.
The digital strategist will be primarily responsible for keeping the ACLU SoCal's web, app, social media and direct marketing channels updated and relevant.
The position requires a person who has superb writing skills and understanding of voice; a strong command of social media marketing principles and campaign planning; a keen eye for engaging content and a curiosity for popular culture and emerging platforms; and is highly organized and data driven.
This position will work closely with the Communications and Media Advocacy Department staff and interface with people in and outside of the organization on a daily basis.
The position will report to the prospective Director of Media and Public Relations.
- Content management. Fulfill distribution and scheduling of communications content across all media platforms including the organization’s websites, digital subscriptions and social media.
- Social media. Develop and maintain engaging online social spaces that expand the awareness of the ACLU and increase reach and target niche audiences via social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, Clubhouse, etc.); manage paid boosts and ads on social media for growth; live streaming ACLU SoCal-sponsored events.
- Constituency contact. Build and implement e-mail marketing, alerts and push notifications; maintain audience databases in coordination with the California affiliates, Cal Action, and ACLU national office.
- Digital advocacy. Provide guidance and support to the Advocacy team in the digital execution of its campaigns; train staff to integrate digital tools in their advocacy and organizing work ("Twitter 101," "Using Instagram Live," etc.).
- Web management and production. Administer and manage ACLU SoCal websites (Drupal and Wordpress); craft web pages and microsites; produce interactive web content; build online forms for advocacy and promotional campaigns such as online petitions and event registration forms; train and monitor CMS content editors.
- Digital liaison. Maintain relationships with vendors, services and products needed to support the online communications goals of the organization; act as the primary contact to web hosts; consult with chief information officer to ensure compatibility with IT systems and processes.
- Branding and style. Assure that digital channels and communications are consistent with the ACLU SoCal brand and best practice standards set by the director of creative.
- Analytics. Produce performance reports on digital platforms and activity (site traffic, engagement, conversions, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
RACIAL EQUITY COMPETENCIES
Understanding and Applying Racial Equity (0-17 months)
- Demonstrate commitment to building or deepening understanding of racial equity: o Core terms and concepts such as structural racism, white privilege, and anti-Blackness.
- The role that racial inequity has played and continues to play in our society.
- How race impacts supervisory relationships, team dynamics, and organizational culture.
- Personal/implicit/unconscious bias.
Working for Racial Equity (18+ months)
- Consistently assess structural implications and racially disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions within the context of their job responsibilities; race/ethnicity, intersection of race/ethnicity, gender, identity, and/or sexual orientation.
- Consistently adhere to organization’s racial equity policies and procedures, including those that relate to hiring, retention, and promotion.
- Consistently identify and disrupt ways in which bias plays out in work and/or team.
- At least 3 years of web management and digital communications experience, preferably in a non-profit environment; specifically, strong understanding of front-end technologies including HTML and CSS.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills; creative messaging and marketing experience a plus.
- Experience in maintaining website content; familiarity with Drupal and Wordpress preferred.
- Extensive use of relevant social media and integrated marketing tools including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc.
- Mastery of digital analytics tools and digital subscription software, e.g. Google Analytics, Cision, Meltwater.
- Experience with e-mail marketing software and constituency data management like Salesforce.
- Graphic design skills using Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Ability to work independently and organized in a fast-paced environment, while managing several projects simultaneously and adjusting to frequently shifting immediate demands.
- Ability to understand and grasp fast-changing media market and platforms.
- Strong team-building and organizing skills.
- Strong commitment to advancing the ACLU SoCal’s values, mission, and goals, with an understanding of the range of civil liberties and civil rights issues and their implications.
The salary range for this position $70,000- $80,000. Benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff members and their eligible dependents; life and long- term disability insurance; 401(k) plan with employer match; ample vacation and sick leave and fourteen paid holidays.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, a writing sample, and three references for "Digital Strategist” through our online Applicant Tracking Portal.
(NO Phone Calls PLEASE)
The ACLU of Southern California is committed to developing a culture of diversity, equity, respect, and inclusion and to strive to maintain a workforce that reflects the communities that we serve. The ACLU SoCal is an equal opportunity employer that does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable law. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply and value people of all races, genders (including gender identity or expression), sexual orientations, disabilities, citizenships, ages, religions, and national origins and who have different marital statuses, family caregiving responsibilities, lived experiences with the criminal justice systems, and genetic information. The ACLU SoCal does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these characteristics.
The ACLU SoCal is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.