The American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California (ACLU SoCal) seeks a Communications Strategist to develop and implement communications strategies.
Founded in 1923, the ACLU SoCal is dedicated to defending and advancing civil liberties and civil rights. Whether in the courts, legislatures, or in communities, the ACLU SoCal works on a daily basis to defend the principle that every individual's rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or national origin. The Communications Strategist position is an essential part of the Communications & Media Advocacy Department and is based in the ACLU SoCal’s downtown Los Angeles office.
The Communications Strategist is responsible for drafting and editing owned media content including blogs and articles, web copy, digital media postings, e-mail marketing, and reports. The Communications Strategist will work closely with members of the Communications & Media Advocacy Department to amplify and publicize our work, educate the public, engage our base online, and influence how our issues are framed in the media.
The position is full-time, exempt, and will report directly to the Director of Communications & Media Advocacy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Writing and Editing
- Draft and edit blog posts and op-eds including ghostwriting for program staff, letters to the editor, and other press materials, in close collaboration with the Press & Communications Strategist.
- Work with staff to help produce and edit high quality materials such as advocacy reports, the ACLU SoCal annual report, fact sheets and marketing and engagement flyers, in close collaboration with the Multimedia Producer and consultants.
- Craft e-mail marketing alerts and social media language, and participate in digital strategy planning, in close collaboration with the Digital Strategist.
- Coordinate with the communications team for adaptation of content and distribution of workload, specifically regarding writing tasks.
- Draft and edit other ACLU SoCal written materials as assigned by the Director of Communications & Media Advocacy.
Strategy and Messaging
- Develop and maintain consistent talking points, tone, and narrative per issue to be used in organizational and ambassador communications.
- Assist in developing and implementing an integrated, strategic communications plan that promotes the ACLU's work across a broad platform of media outlets.
- Work with San Diego and Northern California affiliates, as well as our national office and Sacramento office, on communications strategy and messaging.
- Work with messaging and research consultants to develop new narrative frames and help implement adoption of new messaging by training staff and partners, in close collaboration with the Director of Communications & Media Advocacy.
- Use the Communications & Media Advocacy Department’s strategic communications process to manage requests from program staff for communications support.
- Contribute to refining and updating the Communications Department guiding processes and protocols about best practices in strategic communications.
- Other communications projects as assigned by the Director of Communications & Media Advocacy.
- Three to 5 years of experience in writing, formulating copy, and editing
- Excellent oral, written, and editing skills, including ability to draft materials on a wide range of topics in a timely manner.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to manage projects, such as reports, from inception through execution.
- Solution-oriented approach, with a willingness to take initiative, while juggling several priorities.
- Ability to both work independently and as a team member with personal enthusiasm, optimism and a sense of humor.
- Ability to work independently and keep organized in a fast-paced environment, manage several projects simultaneously, and adjust strategy to frequently changing demands.
- Strong commitment to racial and social justice.
- Experience in public interest or social justice advocacy work.
- Working fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Video/audio production and editing.
Competitive salary is commensurate with experience. The starting compensation range is $70,000 - $80,000. Excellent benefits include generous health, dental, vision plans for staff and their eligible dependents, and life insurance plan. Also matching 401(k) plan, ample vacation and sick leave, and liberal holiday schedule.
Please submit resume, cover letter, two references, and three writing samples (NO Phone Calls PLEASE) to email@example.com or mail to:
ACLU of Southern California
1313 W. 8th Street Los Angeles, CA 90017
The ACLU SoCal is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.